If you want to sell, give away, or just trash an old computer, it’s a good idea to remove it from your Microsoft account first. And if you sell a Windows Phone, you’ll need to remove the device from your account before the new owner can set up features like Find My Phone.
Steps To Remove an Associated Device From Microsoft Account
- Hit your web browser and sign in to your Microsoft Account.
- Click the Devices menu and then choose “Your devices.”
- The “Your devices” page shows all devices registered to your account. You can also view just devices that have apps & games, music, or movies & TV shows.
- When you’ve located the device you want to remove, just click the “Remove” link to the right.
- On the warning page, select the “I’m ready to remove this device” check box and then click Remove.
- A confirmation page shows you what device you removed and the exact time and date. Click Back to Devices.