- You'll get an eight-digit alphanumeric code and expiry date for it. This is the unique porting code.
- Approach service provider you have opted for with unique code. Carry address & ID proof/ photograph/ application form with unique code & mobile number. Complete this process within the expiry date that came with unique code.
- Operator will take request to Mobile Portability Clearing House. The Clearing House will get your number deactivated from existing service provider and activate to new one.
- You'll then get text from new provider mentioning date & time when phone will go through a no-service period.
- This is when switching of service providers will happen. Phone will be out of use for couple of hours — between 12 pm and 5 am.
- Subscriber can stay with the same technology, i.e. GSM/CDMA and can change to CDMA or vice versa. Both post-paid & prepaid subscribers can use it.